2018 Dance Scholarships
The SCDS will be holding the 2018 Auditions for the annual Dance Scholarship Awards from 12pm to 3:30pm on Sunday June 24, 2018.
This year the Sunshine Coast Dance Society is pleased to advise that three awards will be awarded at the judges discretion:
- $1000 – Lois Smith Scholarship for Excellence in Ballet (in memory of Lois Smith) Classical or contemporary ballet may apply. Please, no point shoes.
- $1000 – Scholarship for Excellence in Modern Dance (co-sponsored by the Baris Foundation and the Sunshine Coast Dance Society) (styles include jazz, lyrical, tap, or hip-hop)
- $500 – Sunshine Coast Dance Society Award for Original Choreography (Solos or Duets only)
The auditions will immediately follow a 45 minute warm-up class. Applicants for the Ballet and Modern Dance Scholarships must attend the warmup class. (Attendance in the warmup is optional for applicants of the Choreography Award).
The event will be held at:
Coast Academy of Dance,
5645 Wharf Ave
Please plan to arrive by 11:50AM to sign in before the warmup.
To be eligible for a scholarship applicants must:
- Be 14 years of age or older.
- Have a minimum of 3 years formal dance training
Ballet or Modern Dance Scholarship
Participants applying for either the Lois Smith Ballet Scholarship, or the Scholarship for Excellence in Modern Dance, are required to:
- Fill out and email the attached application by June 19, 2018.
- Attend the warm-up class held at 12pm on Sunday June 24.
- Be prepared to perform a dance solo (3 min. max.) that best exhibits your dance abilities for each award entry.
Auditions to be held from 1PM to 2:30PM.
Participants applying for the Choreography Award are required to:
- Fill out and email the attached application by June 19, 2018
- Be prepared to have either themselves or no more than 2 other dancers, perform their Choreographic entry. Please arrive at studio by 2pm.
Auditions to be held 2:30-3:30pm.
Application Due Date
Email the completed application form, (and letter of recommendation – optional) no later than Monday June 19, 2018.
Email to the address below, or call Yvette at 604 885-2476 if you have questions.
The successful applicants will be informed of the results by July 1, 2018.
Please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat April 7, 2018: The Source Returns to Sechelt!
The Source Dance Company from Vancouver returns to Sechelt with the power-packed dance show, “Conversations at the Station.”
Experience this high energy talented troupe of young adult dancers playing out a myriad of emotions, situations, and even a “flashmob” set against gritty Grand Central station-style staging.
Combining hip hop, jazz, contemporary, lyrical, and tap dancing, along with senior level dancers from Danceworks, Dominique’s School of Dance, and Coast Academy of Dance, this show will be the highlight of the spring Sunshine Coast dance season. A great live event for all ages!
Proceeds from the show will go to help fund annual scholarships for our talented coast “emerging artist” dancers!
Date: Saturday, April 7, 2018:
Times: There’s a 2PM matinee show and an evening show at 7:30PM.
Cost: Student tickets only $15. Adult tickets $20 (in advance) or $25 (at the door – if available.)
Tickets are also available at:
Check out these videos to see their blend of jazz, lyrical, hip-hop and contemporary dancing:
- Vancity Project (Choreography Showcase)
- “Hey Mama” Street Jazz, 2016
- “Finding Wonderland”, 2015
- “Bang Bang” 2015
- “Reporting Live”, 2012
- In the Studio (Compilation)